A Bento Box for Better Health!



A nutritious bento from Susan Yuen.
 1 cup of veggie fried brown rice, 1 poached egg, ½ cup of fruit, ¼ cup vegetables, and 1 pint of calcium-rich milk!  

This semester I've been writing for The Friedman Sprout, the nutrition graduate student newsletter for The Friedman School of Nutrition Science and Policy of Tufts University.  
I'm excited to share my article for the April edition titled, A New Twist on Lunch: A Bento Box for Better Health!
The Japanese-style lunch box is sweeping America, bringing fresh inspiration for healthful lunches.  Though originally targeted for school children, this cute revolution offers tips for any student in need of a lunch-box makeover!  Click here to continue reading...
My article takes a quick look at America's current school lunch slump, and how bento can help by promoting portion control, balanced food groups, and a healthful enjoyment for food.  I'm particularly thankful for the contributing quotes and perspectives of experienced bento moms Sheri Chen (Happy Little Bento) and Susan Yuen (Hawai`i's Bento Box Cookbook, Bentos and More for Kids).  Yuen also kindly offered to make some nutritionally guided bentos (like the one pictured above) which can be viewed in The Sprout and also on her blog!  I want to thank both of you ladies for your help! I am continually inspired by your beautiful bento creations!
*Note: the hyperlinks included in The Sprout article got switched around.  Hopefully they will be fixed soon!

Here's some other great pieces in The Sprout's new April edition:

A look at the recently approved Healthy and Hunger-Free Kids Act of 2010...

Learn how to cook dried beans to perfection...

Learn more about seafood, one of the most unsustainable sectors of the food industry...


 
Writing about bento for the newsletter inspired my own lunchbox creation.
Rice, umeboshi (pickled plum), steamed zucchini, tofu and soy sauce, steamed carrot.
Nothin' fancy.  Simply yummy.
Thank you for reading, and happy early Easter! 

Sincerely,
Rach : )

10 comments:

ann low said...

These are very beautiful Bentos! I'm just speechless! *=* Happy Easter!

hapa bento said...

Hi Rachel, Such a timely article. Given the current school lunch "buzz" in the news and on TV, your information along with the excellent examples from Susan and Sheri will support any parents seeking guidance.

Rachel said...

Thank you for both of your kind comments!

Rachel said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Meredith (Pursuing Balance) said...

Great article! I think bento boxes are super cute.

Andrea@WellnessNotes said...

I love bento boxes; they make me want to be more creative with my kids' lunches... :) They also highlight that we should feed our kids healthy, natural, real foods!

Emily said...

So cute! I wish I had a mom to make me a nutritionally-balanced bento every day for lunch. I love the silicone egg mold. I think I might "need" one. :-) Great job on your article!

MelindaRD said...

Love Bento! Great information and I love all the links.

Anonymous said...

HEY GIRL!
OH MY GOSH I WANT A BENTO BOX!!!!
i LOVE how balanced it is!
Happy Easter love <3

Anonymous said...

Rachel, the article is fantastic!!! Thank you so much for letting me be a part of it! You really have been an inspiration to me and I hope we have the opportunity to do more things together! :D

Post a Comment

Disclaimer. I am not a Registered Dietitian yet. I provide nutrition information intended for the general public, not for the treatment of a specific medical condition. I try to use scientific research and reliable sources when forming my opinions and messages.
Related Posts with Thumbnails