Beach Day+ Dietetic Internship Shout-Out!

Manchester, MA
Last week was spring break, and all I wanted was the sight, smell, and sound of the ocean.  I got my wish.  The clouds parted on Thursday and set the scene for a blustery yet lovely day on the New England coast.  50 minutes on the Commuter Rail brought my friend and I to Singing Beach, Manchester in northern Massachusetts.  What a refreshment from the brick and cobblestone of Boston city.
Singing Beach...tra la la!

Holla for the Dietetic Internship...Good Luck!
I was recently reminded that Monday April 5th is the nationwide Dietetic Internship Match Day- one week away!  In honor of all the applicants (and many of my dear friends), I dedicate this post to everyone who applied for a dietetic internship this spring!  GOOD LUCK!  *Scrambles on top of a chair and claps hands.  Bravo!*  I'm rooting for you.

While I'm at it, I might as well spread a little dietetics love and awareness.....
What Are The Steps to Becoming a Registered Dietitian?
  1. Bachelor's degree, and completion of certain classes as approved by the Commission on Accredidation for Dietetics Education
  2. Complete the Dietetic Internship, a supervised practice program.
  3. Take the national registration examination to earn the professional RD credential, "Registered Dietitian."
What's a Dietetic Internship (DI)?
A DI is a postbaccalaureate program that provides a minimum of 900 hours (soon to be increased to 1200 hours) of practical experience in dietetics.  This encompasses a wide variety of skills from outpatient diet counseling, to tube feed calculations, to managerial roles in food service kitchen.  There are  about 250 programs nation-wide typically running from six to twelve months, although combined graduate degree-linked programs go longer.  I am doing a combined dietetic internship and graduate degree through Tufts Medical Center, Frances Stern Nutrition Center.

What's DI Match Day?
This year Match Day falls on April 5th.  It is the momentous midnight hour when dietetic students across the country find out their placement to dietetic internship programs through a national computer matching system.   
Ice cream at Singing Beach.

Here's a shout-out to some blogs I enjoy by other dietetic interns:
The Health Nut by Emily at St. Louis University.
Foodie Nutritionist Emily at UConn/Hartford Hospital.  
Healthy Blog Snack Lindsey, fellow Tufts Dietetetic Intern!
Green Grapes Blog Corinne, another Tufts intern!
Off the Wall Food blog by Tufts dietetic intern Renee, and her roommates Kelly and Stephanie!
Around the Plate by Kati from Central Michigan University
J and J Take Charleston: One Veggie At a Time Julie and Johanna, Medical University of South Carolina
Peace, Love, and Food Kara Lydon, Mount Auburn Hospital, Massachusetts
All Access Internships Blog  This blog is but one resource from All Access Internships, a great online community for dietetic students and interns!

Do you know of other dietetic intern bloggers or blogs?  I know I'm missing many more, so pass them along!
And just out of curiousity...
I'll take sand over trees any day.  But given a holiday, would you go to the beach or the mountains?
Bye!
Rachel

11 comments:

Corinne @ Green Grapes Blog said...

Thanks for the shout out! Much appreciated :D As always, beautiful photography!

Lindsey @Healthy Blog Snack said...

Woo hoo! Thanks for the shout out Rachel! I also just remembered that DI Day is quickly approaching - I can't believe I'm almost done with my internship, it feels like I just got matched yesterday!

PS Singing Beach is my faaaaaaaaaaaavorite beach in MA! We'll have to go together some time!

Rachel said...

Thanks ladies! You both are almost done, congrats!

Emily said...

Thanks so much for the shout-out! I remember match day last year..can't believe it's already here again. Best wishes to all of the applicants!

Love your haircut...super cute! Hope spring break was fabulous.

Angela said...

Rach.....I'm soooo nervous for Monday! The time is actually 4pm instead of midnight, please pray and send good thoughts for me and Aska!!

Kim at Rustic Garden Bistro said...

Looks like a great break! I love the smell of the ocean. :-) [K]

Kasey said...

Wow, those pictures are beautiful! I usually pick the beach over the mountains :)

Anonymous said...

naturally like your website however you have to check the spelling on several of your posts.
Many of them are rife with spelling problems and I find it very troublesome to inform the truth however I'll certainly come again again.

Here is my webpage; summer internship

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Jacob Bastomski said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

Post a Comment

Disclaimer. I am not a Registered Dietitian yet. I provide nutrition information intended for the general public, not for the treatment of a specific medical condition. I try to use scientific research and reliable sources when forming my opinions and messages.
Related Posts with Thumbnails