A Macaroon Correspondence

Dear Mr. Macaroon,
It was a pleasure to make your acquaintance this past week.  Our brief but short encounter has left a most powerful impression on my palate.  I was thrilled to meet Apricot and Pistacchio, and have reason to believe that your other flavors will be equally delightful.  When can we meet again for another sweet rendezvous?  Please wait for my return.  Until then, I will cherish the sweet memories.
Last week my spring break happily coincided with Boston's Winter Restaurant Week, which offered the ideal opportunity to skip over to the Boston's North End for some Italian indulgences.  I have been pining for fine dining, and the visit from an out-of-town friend gave perfect justifaction for a luncheon at Ristorante Fiore ($15 dollars for a top-notch 2-course meal!).  
My friend Emily was visting from Connecticut, where she is doing her dietetic internship.  I know her from our California undergraduate nutrition days at UC Davis, and it was so good to see her.  (Also, I found out she also has a blog, Foodie Nutritionist!)  Little did I know that perfect bliss awaited us at our post-lunch adventure at Mike's Pastry.
I've frequented Mike's Pastry many times for their famous cannolies, but last week I diverted my attention to the outer shelves of their display case.  Lo and behold, I discovered macaroons.  I loved their almond-esque taste and color!  (These were not like the coconut macaroons from the grocery store.)
Are macaroons easy to make?
Are you currently in correspondence with a particular food love?
With love from a new fan,
Rachel

4 comments:

Andrea@WellnessNotes said...

I haven't had macaroons in ages... Sounds like you had a great lunch and sweet treat! :)

Happy Sunday!

Rachel said...

thanks Andrea! It was sweet indeed.

Anonymous said...

What a nice time! That is nice you and your friend have stayed in touch.
I tried my first macaroon when my friend was in town. It was at the Bouchon Bakery. She is a big foodie and I almost died when I tasted it. So yummy!

MelindaRD said...

That is a darn crazy shade of green, and I like it! I think one of my friends did undergrad at UC Davis, but probably before you.

Post a Comment

Disclaimer. I am not a Registered Dietitian yet. I provide nutrition information intended for the general public, not for the treatment of a specific medical condition. I try to use scientific research and reliable sources when forming my opinions and messages.
Related Posts with Thumbnails