My Fiber Tally + Whole Grain Alert

Do you know how much fiber you eat each day?
Is it between 25-38 grams, the recommended daily amount for adults?
Last week the dietitians and dietetic interns at Tufts Medical Center celebrated National Nutrition Month with a Fiber and Fluid theme.  All the talk about fiber got me wondering how much of the good stuff I'm actually consuming on an average day.
My Fiber Tally
Monday. March 15, 2010
Fiber Total= 26.1 grams
Yay, I'm meeting recommendations!  Bob's Red Mill saved me.
*Nutrient info taken from USDA Nutrient Database and USDA Nutrient Database Standard Reference Fiber List.
Whole Grain Alert 
Remind me again, why the fuss about whole grains?
Whole grains have higher amounts of fiber than refined grains.
And since I'm so forgetful, what is a whole grain?
A whole grain includes the whole grain kernal-the bran, the germ, and the endosperm.  In comparison, refined grains removed the bran and germ, striping the grain of important B vitamins, iron, and fiber.
Unfortunately food companies often label their products "mulit-grain,""stone-ground," "100% wheat," or "bran" when there is no significant amount of whole grains.  
KEY POINT: The only way to ensure whole grain authenticity is to read the ingredients label!  "100% Whole Wheat/Oat/Bran/Rye/ect" should be the first ingredient, and the only type of flour on the list.  "Wheat Flour" or "Enriched Wheat Flour" does not garuntee 100% whole grain.  

More whole grain and fiber resources:
The package of my Arnold's Sandwich Thins claimed "made with whole grains," yet the first ingredient on the label was unbleached enriched wheat flour.  Nope, no good Mr. Arnold!  I think you could learn a lesson from my dear friend Bob.
Have You Met Mr. Bob?
Whenever I go grocery shopping (basically once a week), I drop something new into my shopping basket.  I've been forming a slow friendship with Mr. Bob, and I love everything his Red Mill produces.  Last week I took his High Fiber challenge: Organic Whole Grain High Fiber Hot Cereal.
Wait for it...
8 grams insoluble + 2 grams soluble fiber (yes TEN total) per 1/3 cup!!  
Can my gut handle it?
 I'm glad to report that my gut is working hard, but doing just fine!
Unlike Mr. Arnold's Sandwich Thins, Bob's High Fiber cereal is a great example of a whole grain.  The ingredients list speaks for itself: Organic Whole Grain Oats, Organic Wheat Bran, Organic Flaxseed Meal, Organic Oat Bran, Organic Wheat Germ.
ANOTHER KEY POINT.  As you increase your fiber intake, remember to stay hydrated!  Your body won't appreciate an extra 10 grams of fiber all at once, so increase slowly over several days to avoid bloating, gas, and diarrhea.
How do you fill up on fiber?
Happy Friday!
Sincerely,
Rachel ... and Mr. Bob!

8 comments:

Kim at Rustic Garden Bistro said...

Artichokes. Lots and lots of artichokes. :-)

MelindaRD said...

Thank heavens for the high fiber cereal. I have some great whole grain pitas I have been using and it helps to boost fiber intake. Great review on fiber. Oh, and thanks for the info on the pressure cooker. I think my hubby is afraid I may blow something up!

Corinne @ Green Grapes Blog said...

Thanks for including me! And I adore Mr. Bob! Think I just may have to try that cereal :P Happy Friday!

alivaux said...

We are nuts for Fiber One granola bars! And, like my grandparents, we take Metamucil to cover our bases :-p

Anonymous said...

Great post! I would definitely say fruits, veggies, and whole grains make up my fiber for the day. Never counted the total...I should do that!
Have a great weekend!

Andrea@WellnessNotes said...

Great post! I should count my total fiber intake, too. I start every day with oatmeal and blueberries and eat lots of fruits, veggies, and whole grains throughout the day. But still, it'll be interesting to see where I end up...

Conor @ HoldtheBeef said...

Hooray for fibre! I've never actually added mine up, but with the seemingly ridiculous amounts of fresh veges and fruit that I consume, and starting almost every day off with steel cut oats, I'm pretty confident I'm on track with it. Might do the sums though just out of curiousity..

Angie said...

Great post!!

And, great job getting in the fiber!

My go-to fiber foods are oats, beans, and Kashi cereals!

Have a gerat week!

Post a Comment

Disclaimer. I am not a Registered Dietitian yet. I provide nutrition information intended for the general public, not for the treatment of a specific medical condition. I try to use scientific research and reliable sources when forming my opinions and messages.
Related Posts with Thumbnails