Simmered Sweetness, Japanese Pumpkin Part 2

My affection for this squash goes beyond its awesome vitamin A profile (see my first kabocha post).  I crave kabocha for its starchy sweetness.  And I agree with whoever declared kabocha as a tasty mix between sweet potato and pumpkin.
My mother and I share a particular love for simmered kabocha and aburage, which is fried tofu.  My mom tells me that this is a simple country dish, but it suites me!  I do not know the exact proportions for the seasoning, so I am citing the following recipe from The Legacy of the Japanese in Hawaii: Cuisine.  The Japanese Cultural Center for Hawaii sponsored this cookbook in 1989.  It might be out of print now, but I found it listed on amazon.  I highly recommend it, as it compiles traditional recipes with easy explanations, and adds interesting historical facts as well.

Kabocha no Fukumeni
Simmered Kabocha, page 150
Cut kabocha in half and remove seeds.  The skin is edible, but you can peel it off if you want.  Cut kabocha into large pieces.


In a pot, boil 2 cups water with:
1.5 teaspoon Hondashi soup stock
6 Tablespoon sugar
2 teaspoon soy sauce
1 teaspoon salt
2 Tablespoon sake, rice wine (optional, I didn't have any today.)
Add kabocha and aburage.  Aburage, the fried tofu, soaks up the salty broth and complements the sweet kabocha.


Aburage



Bring to a boil.  Then reduce heat and simmer for 10-15 minutes, or until kabocha is cooked.  You may need to stir the kabocha for even cooking.  However vigorous stirring can break up the chunks.  I recommend using a 2-handled pot to "toss" the kabocha around.
Best eaten with rice.  Fresh hot rice!


Aburage on Foodista

2 comments:

Happy Little Bento said...

I got that book from JCC too. Didn't think you could buy it anywhere else. Nice pictorial of a deliciously fall food, thanks for sharing!

Rachel said...

thanks! yup, love that cookbook.

Post a Comment

Disclaimer. I am not a Registered Dietitian yet. I provide nutrition information intended for the general public, not for the treatment of a specific medical condition. I try to use scientific research and reliable sources when forming my opinions and messages.
Related Posts with Thumbnails