Armed and Hungry. Watch out!

I can't wait to cut some MEAT!
Ok.  Let me explain.
Number one.  Today my new knife arrived!  7" Santoku by Wusthof.  Like many in my generation, I used Ikea knives all through undergrad.  However a recent (and almost dangerous) struggle with Japanese pumpkin convinced me that it was time to invest in some quality.  Thanks to a 20% OFF Bed Bath & Beyond coupon, I've bought a basic chef knife.  It was a little pricey (a sad reflection on my budget), but it came with lifetime warranty and a free cutting board.  All I need to do is cut something... how about some sirloin pork chops?

Which brings me to Number two.  Today an armful of books arrived at the Boston Public Library.  My newest addition is Lobel's Meat Bible: All you need to know about meat and poulty from America's master butchers.  Yes please.  Teach me!

By: Stanley, Evan, Mark, and David Lobel.
published 2009

Lobel's of New York is a family run butchery, operating in Manhattan's Upper East Side since 1954.  In their most recent book Lobel's Meat Bible, the authors share their expertise,
We want nothing more than to help meat lovers get the most from their purchases.  [...]  We respect [the] time-tested traditions and deliberately take the best of the old and combine it with the requirements of the present and future.  We also believe it is crucial to treat our customers fairly and pleasantly, to sell only quality meat, and to answer every question.
I'm really enjoying this cookbook.  It covers the basics of veal, pork, lamb, poultry, and beef (who knew there were 23 types of steak?).  And most importantly, the recipes come with full page juicy pictures.  I confess that I don't usually like steak, or any big pieces of meat.  Recently I've accidentally been eating vegetarian because meat is expensive and I love tofu and eggs.  However, maybe it's time to vary my protein.  With this book, meat never looked so good.

So armed with a new knife and some new meaty knowledge, let's go get me some filet mignon chuck steak.

3 comments:

Happy Little Bento said...

Santoku is a beautiful knife. Even so, cutting kabocha is still tricky! The scariest gourd (to me) is butternut. I remember my dad sharpening his own knives with the Japanese oil stone.. they were so sharp you hardly had to apply any pressure. Congrats Rachel! Go get you some meat!

Rachel said...

Thanks Sheri! You're right, my next investment should be a sharpening stone. Good idea.

alivaux said...

fabulous!! have fun! i'm going to be in davis on friday...when are you going home?

Post a Comment

Disclaimer. I am not a Registered Dietitian yet. I provide nutrition information intended for the general public, not for the treatment of a specific medical condition. I try to use scientific research and reliable sources when forming my opinions and messages.
Related Posts with Thumbnails