New! 2010 Dietary Guidelines for Americans

On Tuesday June 15th the Dietary Guidelines Advisory Committee released their report for the 2010 Dietary Guidelines for Americans.  Public comment will be accepted from June 15 to July 15, 2010.  The final report is due at the end of the year.
This is old news, however my head has been stuck in medical records and clinical rotations (more on this  in the future) so I just found out this weekend!  Here's more info on the Dietary Guidelines:
Published every 5 years by the United States Department of Agriculture (USDA) and the Department of Health and Human Services (HHS), the Dietary Guidelines represent science-based nutrition guidance for the general public.  Their mission is to promote health and reduce risk for major chronic diseases through good dietary habits.  First published in 1980, Congress mandates that the guidelines be reviewed and updated every five years.  The Dietary Guidelines set the standards for all Federal food and nutrition education programs.
Read the press release.   
Check out the USDA's Nutrition Evidence Library to see the supporting research.
Read what Marion Nestle thinks on her Food Politics blog.
Wall Street Journal reports on the Advisory Committee Report.
Blog love!  Read a brief recap from my friend Emily at The Health Nut.  She offers a soon-to-be dietitian's perspective, and her blog is super fun!

Have you read it yet?  What do you think?  I have to find time this week to go over it.
Happy Monday!
Rachel

4 comments:

Emily said...

I've read bits and pieces of the 2010 DG, and I just posted a little highlight section on my blog. I think there are definitely some positive changes!

On another note, I just applied to a job in Boston. Wouldn't it be fun to live in the same state?!

Rachel said...

That would be awesome! Gl with the job search. I'm going to go read your post!

Liz said...

I'm in LOVE with Malcolm Gladwell. The Tipping Point is awesome, and so are all his other books! If you like The Tipping Point, definitely check out Outliers!

Jacob Bastomski said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

Post a Comment

Disclaimer. I am not a Registered Dietitian yet. I provide nutrition information intended for the general public, not for the treatment of a specific medical condition. I try to use scientific research and reliable sources when forming my opinions and messages.
Related Posts with Thumbnails